- A book has a front cover.
- A book has a beginning and an end.
- A book has pages.
- A page in a book has a top and a bottom.
- You turn pages one at a time to follow the story.
- You read a story from left to right of a page (except for Arabic books).
As you read with your 4 - 5 year old, begin to remind her about these things.
- Read the title on the cover.
- Talk about the picture on the cover.
- Point to the place where the story starts and later, where it ends. Let your child help turn the pages.
- When you start a new page, point to where the words of the story continue and keep following the words by moving your finger beneath them.
It takes time for the child to learn these things, but when your child does learn them, she has solved some of reading's mysteries.